[Ansteorra] In defense of courtesy (was: Re:Courtesy challenge)

Judie Willey littledragon0861 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 10:47:10 PDT 2006

I would like to add a thought to the fact that some chivalry is still alive
today, even outside the SCA.
I had an experience recently where I had gone to a local gas station to
purchase ice and several 12 packs of soda before a Populace Meeting in my
home. I went to take 2 of the cases of soda out to my car and was going to
to assist me, telling me to go open the door of the car and they would carry
everything else. When I thanked them the response was " You don't need to
thank us ma'am...our momma's would whoop our butts if we didn't help a lady
who was carrying heavy items"

I had been having a rough time of it and that absolutley made my day

Rebbe Hadassah Sarai bas Yossi

On 10/5/06, Chass Brown <chass at allegiance.tv> wrote:

>     I don't care how the customs came into effect. I don't treat women
> as if I own them but I will open a door for one, step up to defend one,
> ask to assist her if she needs it, etc. Like at Beltane when that young
> lady sprang her ankle, I gave her a ride on my power chair (well
> actually in my lap) to her encampment (and I must add it turned a nice
> shade of purple black her ankle that is). I also will step forward If I
> see a gentleman who is carrying a load and looks as if he needs
> assistance. Also don't be afraid to accept assistance from me just
> because I am in a wheelchair.
>
> Chass Brown A.K.A.
> Charinthalis Del Sans of the portable chariot.
> Honorable Recruiter of the House of the Red Shark.
> Rear Admiral Northern Region Ansteorran Royal Navy - Ship the
> RedShark. Muddeler of Mead

Rebbe Hadassah Sarai bas Yossi
MoC Barony of Steppes