[Ansteorra] a question for any potters... a new one...

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 26 22:17:58 PDT 2006

On Oct 27, 2006, at 12:03 AM, Deirdre wrote:

> I find myself unable to resist asking a completely ignorant question -
> There's really no way to ask without it sounding totally ignorant,
> either,
> so here goes...
>
> Why can't we take the lead out of the clay or ceramic or whatever?
> People
> MAKE this stuff, right?  So make it unleaded.... I mean, does ALL
> clay have
> lead in it? Is there no way to remove it?
>
> Wow - I think my lightbulb just dimmed - I don't think it will
> recover from
> this one.
>
> Deirdre, whose hubby just told her a story about a woman who was
> convicted
> of murdering her husband by making him a mug, and leaving a small spot
> inside unglazed - he died of lead poisoning. Wonder how many years
> that
> took...

M'lady Deirdre, I'd never thought about that. Great question!

A quick search of Google for "lead-free clay" provides several hits.
It appears that there is such a thing, and some makers of stoneware
and cookware use it in their products.

For example:
<http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3676/is_200401/ai_n9389826>
"A local riverbank provides the lead-free clay, which is perfect for
use as dinnerware and is microwave-, oven-, and dishwasher-safe."

I hope this helps.

Michael Silverhands