[Ansteorra] a question for any potters... a new one...

Patty prand at swbell.net
Sat Oct 28 06:34:34 PDT 2006

Hey Lorraine,

  This is the "Note to manufacuters of dinner ware" where I used to get my glazes...
  "It is your responsibility by law to ensure the safety of your ware through testing and to implement appropriate firing controls, controls for thinkness of glaze applications, controls for kiln loading and other production measures."
  There are too many variables involved in the application and firing of the glazes I guess.  When I made pottery many years ago, not sure this warning was in place, but we never tested...shame, shame.

  Caitriona

L T <ldeerslayer at yahoo.com> wrote:
  I'm thinking, that, if you use commercial glazes that are food safe on the areas that come into contact with food then you should not have to test, since the company already has done the requisite testing.

L DeerSlayer

Patty
wrote: Let me rephrase my comments. The point I was trying to make is that MOST of the issues with safety of working in pottery is with the raw materials--glazes, clays, chemicals and any other raw materials used. Food grade glazes can be toxic in the liquid form (not all toxicity comes from lead) and once fired are food safe. You are correct in that most glazes used for food contain no lead. But there are some clear glazes that contain some lead in the liquid state but once fired are food safe. The key to ALL food safe pottery is proper glaze coverage and firing. Under law if you produce dinnerware you are required to test to ensure its safety.

Caitriona

Judie Willey
wrote:
Not true...you must use lead free glazes on any item which will be used for
food
Hadassah

On 10/27/06, Patty
wrote:

> The issues with lead and toxicity of clay and glazes is mostly found in
> its raw state. Some glazes are toxic in the liquid state, if you work with
> children or you have health issues you need to look for non-toxic
> glazes. Dinnerware safe means that if the piece is fired properly the item
> is safe for food use.
>
> Caitriona

Rebbe Hadassah Sarai bas Yossi
MoC Barony of Steppes