[Ansteorra] Pottery questions ad absurdum (was: question for potters)

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 29 09:40:11 PST 2006

Salut cozyns,

Sorry, I don't buy it.

First, Torquil and--everyone else involved in this thread--needs to drop all
discussion of lead glazes. No one asked about lead glazes. We all know
they're dangerous, but that has nothing to do with the chemical make-up of
clay.

Second, I'd like to see a reference supporting Torquil's claim that, "all
clay has lead in it if it has been mined from the earth." Even if I believed
this (I don't--lead is not ubiquitous), I'd want to see evidence that said
lead content was high enough to be a health concern.

Third--and here's where all this claptrap about glazes has become such a
distraction--Torquil claims that

>Bisqued pottery (fired) still has lead in it enough to exceed the fda and
>epa standards and over time can make you ill, that is why they (the
>Goverment) required lead free glazes in products to be used for food
><snipped run-on>

No. Absolutely 100% wrong. The requirement for lead free glazes to be used
for food is to eliminate the lead from the glazes not to block lead
absorption from the clay.

lo vostre per vos servir
En Lyonel
Dum doceo disco