[Ansteorra] What happened to Halloween

Donna Nesbit themaefare at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 30 18:25:30 PST 2006

Many fairy tales came from trying to keep children safe.

  Penelope Miriam Darling

Marc Carlson <marccarlson20 at hotmail.com> wrote:
  >Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
>Salut cozyns,
>I don't know when it changed, but it did change. We stick to the better
>neighborhoods, but we still check everything the kids get.
>For years I heard stories about pins and razor blades in candied apples and
>popcorn balls. My parents gleaned all those homemade things from our treat
>bags. For many years after that, I heard that these were all urban
>legends--that no one had ever gotten an apple with a pin or blade in it.
>Bad news. It's *not* an urban legend:
>http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/needles.asp

It's still statistically highly unlikely. Moreover, if tomorrow some
escaped lunatic with a hook started attacking people parking by the side of
the road, that wouldn't make the vast majority of those myths any more real.
Of the millions of kids trick or treating since 1959, only 10 real cases.
That's pretty slim pickings for a real threat, don't you think?

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be cautious. In fact, that's the purpous
of such myths - to remind us that fhe world is inherently dangerous, and
that it can't be made perfectly safe for us or our children.

Marc/Diarmaid