[Ansteorra] Coronets and Hats

James Crouchet james2 at crouchet.com
Tue Sep 5 14:26:38 PDT 2006

I agree with Alden on this. The wearing is optional. However, if someone
fails to give your rank the proper respect when you fail to wear the
hat, you should have no complaint.

I can guarantee you that in period there were many times that someone of
rank went around without the regalia of office. Hundreds of portraits
testify to that.

There may be many reasons not to wear regalia of any type. Thought I am
a Don and a Baron, this past weekend I wore no White Scarf and no
Coronet because I was playing a different character. By some strange
chance that character just happened to be allied with another alternate
character who was played by the Queen. She also wore no regalia in
playing her role. We both appeared in court at various times as our
alternate characters. Any requirements to wear our regalia would have
spoiled all that. Neither the slip of white cloth nor the shiny hat was
necessary for me to serve my Queen.

The rank is invested in the person, not the regalia. Wearing a coronet
make a person Noble; failing to wear one does not mean they stop being
Noble.

Christian Doré