[Ansteorra] Telling someone that what they are doing isnotperiod

Lisa silvina at allegiance.tv
Fri Sep 15 09:49:23 PDT 2006

My Lord husband has a wonderful response for those who tell him that
something is not period.  He tells them "Prove it ISN'T period."  As stated
in a previous post, we can't prove that something isn't period, we can only
document what has been written down or photographed, which is actually very
limited.  I carry a cell phone with me at events, but it is for emergencies
only, as there are family members with heart issues and health problems.  I
too, find cellphone conversations at events disconcerting, especially those
that attach to the ear and are all but invisible (those make the user appear
to be carrying on a one sided conversation with themselves), but I do
acknowledge that there is a need for emergency contact.

My husband and I have brought several new people into the SCA, and each time
we assist them with making their first few pieces of garb.  I will admit
that these beginner pieces are more often than not cheap broadcloth t-tunics
and t-dresses, but they are a valid attempt at medieval clothing and give
them something to wear to their first few events until they see the
different types of garb normally worn and get a better idea of what type of
clothing they want to try to make.  I then assist them with finding and
using more period types of material (in other words steer them away from the
shiny polyester stuff) and patterns that I have used or know others who have
used which are closer to period and within their sewing skills.  We also
tend to loan them their feast gear until they can make or purchase feast
gear, (love flea markets and thrift shops for this).  If they have a
question I can't answer, I ask around until I find someone who can answer
the question and eithe get the answer for them or get them and this person
together to converse and have a question and answer session (preferred).

Elizabeta