[Ansteorra] What's an AoA mean?

Elizabeth Blackthorne damsle_n_distress2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 17 08:02:50 PDT 2006

When I recieved my AOA, I knew it was going to happen.  First was because the queen at the time called me "Lady Elizabeth" when I was waterbearing at a Crown Tournament.  After correcting her as politely as I could, I knew it was coming.  I then had a member of my group offer to help me make some really fancy court garb for an upcoming event.  I knew what was going to happen.  Besides, some well meaning people informed me that they put me in for it.  It was nice to finally be recognized for all I did, but I had been playing so long by then that I already considerd myself a "lady" and began to act like what I thought one would act like.  Maybe that is why it happened.  I have seen a few knightings that were that way.  His Magesty Aaron's was that way(no this is not a way to kiss up to the current crown, I have used this example many times when he is not on the throne), he was a knight in every way but title for a little while before he was knighted, at least 1 year.  I tell
 new fighters this and I guess it truly applies to any award, if that is what you strive for, become that, then you will get the title.  So the real question is not "What is an AOA?" it is "What is a Lady/Lord?"  This reminds me, I have an award rec to fill out

  Lady Elizabeth Blackthorne

Bridget the Stargazer <bridgetthestargazer at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Greetings to all who read this,

Duchess Willow's recent post got me to thinking about when I was a newcomer.
One of the things I remember is what I was told an AoA meant. I've looked at
a website which lists the awards of the kingdom
(http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/jessa/anst.html) and it says that an AoA is
given at the pleasure of the Crown or in conjunction with another award. I
have seen those with the experience of being king or queen and would like to
know what earns someone their AoA? I realize that often times it comes from
recommendations as the king and queen can't be everywhere to know every
individual who deserves a given award. For those who have not been king or
queen, what would make you recommend someone for an AoA?

I ask this as I have been asked in the past and I'm uncertain if the
reasoning is the same now as it was when I began playing in the SCA.

Thank you to all who respond,
Bridget the Stargazer