[Ansteorra] Walkie-Talkiers and Cell Phones

Elizabeth Ellis weavedog91 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 18 20:47:39 PDT 2006

For some bizarre reason this whole walkie talkie/cell phone/weather warning thread reminds me of one that was on an SCA wide list I was on a few years ago.  In that thread, some mundane person had made a big wooden parachute as per the one invented by Leonardo da Vinci, and they actually jumped out of a plane with it.  The question being kicked around on the list was - should a peer intervene if their apprentice/protege/squire tried to pull a stunt like that.  I figured at the very least a sane person would insist that their student have a modern parachute as a back up.  Interestingly enough, there were a few folks on that list that wouldn't even back up that option because it wouldn't have been strictly period.  Go figure.  All I can think is that they must have been really mad at their students at the time.....

  Sometimes having mundane stuff around comes in handy - especially when it involves personal survival....

  Corrinne

  P.S.  The wooden parachute apparently worked just fine, and the guy survived.  But I wonder how he dodged it at touchdown?