[Ansteorra] period on a budget

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 19 07:41:01 PDT 2006

Salut cozyns,

One identified by the messenger as John Fry asks:

>ok I've been reading along with your period not period posts, and now I
>want
>to know how do you go period on a budget. I'm a current student with
>limited
>amounts of money to spend on garb, but I still want to go to an event or
>two
>when I have a chance, without being slapped around by the period nazis.

Allow me first to address the last concern. I wouldn't worry too much about
being assaulted by authenticity mavens. As long as you're not entering
non-period efforts into arts and sciences competitions, stretching the truth
about the provenance of your clothing, or tossing around unwarranted boasts,
you're unlikely to catch their notice.

Now, when you start on clothing, you can always just throw together a
t-tunic, belt, and loose hose. The hardest part of this outfit is usually
the shoes, but moccasins, sandals, or just plain black flats (something like
the karate shoes sold in many Asian markets), will suffice. That will get
you on the field but, depending on your own sartorial sense, might not make
you feel comortable in court. In my experience, most folks are happier with
their results when they narrow their selections.

In other words, before buying cloth and patterns, pick a time and place. You
don't have to stay with your first choice. Quite a few of us have done a bit
of time travel before settling comfortably in a persona. With the budget in
mind, earlier eras are easier to accommodate than later, but you *can* do
budget versions of cotehardies, doublets, and hose if your interests tend
more toward the late Middle Ages and Renaissance.

The next best thing you can do is seek out help. Find someone who does the
kind of clothing you like and ask lots of annoying questions: did you make
that? did you use a pattern? where did you get the material? was it
expensive? You might also ask if your local group (or a nearby group) has a
clothiers guild or similar garment-making get-together that you could join.

Lacking a local mentor, however, you can turn to the Internet and the local
libraries. You'll find a lot of resources available online including pattern
sources, modern patterns that can be adapted, reviews of period patterns,
instructions. If you're interested in the High Middle Ages, see if your
local library has a copy of _The Medieval Tailor's Assistant_
(http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Tailor-Assistant-Garments-1200-1500/dp/0896762394/sr=8-1/qid=1158676050/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-3036045-2181469?ie=UTF8&s=books
). If you're interested in later period garb, you might look into obtainin a
copy of _The Tudor Tailor_
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0896762556/ref=pd_cp_b_title/103-3036045-2181469?ie=UTF8).
If you're interested in another time and place, ask about it on this list.

For fabric, start with natural fibers. They breathe better and tend to look
less plasticky than most synthetics. Linen, wool, and silk are the best
materials for most period clothing, but these tend to be a bit more
expensive. Many cotton and rayon fabrics make passable substitutes, however,
and tend to be more reasonable. Familiarize yourself with the local fabric
stores and keep an eye out for sale items. You might also check for online
sources. We buy linen from fabrics-store.com, and they often have discounted
items.

By the way, does anyone know of a good discount fabric warehouse in Texas or
Oklahoma? I used to buy quite a bit of discounted wools in one of those
places in Salt Lake City. I don't think we have anything of that sort in
Austin, though. Dallas? Houston?

lo vostre per vos servir
Meser Lyonel