[Ansteorra] period on a budget

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 19 10:34:14 PDT 2006

One suggestion...get someone local to help you...

I don't know where you live, but many groups have sewing nights
or people who will volunteer to help you.

Also, there are several decent books on simple theatrical costuming...
which are probably in your school library. I wouldn't use them
for Tudor or Elizabethan but they'd world fine up to about the 1400's or so
until you do more research...and as Alexis said...there's tons of
research at your fingertips...on the net...another place thats a good
place to start is the Atlantian Arts and Sciences Database.

100% cotton broad cloth is availible in tons of colours and
usually for about $2 a yard...wash it in hot water and dry it in a
hot dryer before cutting on it...dependant upon how big you are
and how wide the fabric is (36, 45, or 60 in) you will use 1 1/2 to
3 yards for most sizes of people.

Wool works good for warm...one of the things I've done is go to junk
stores, salvation army stores, etc...and find wool blankets...or sometimes
even wool fabric. That's how I get my camping blankets (for 2 to 5 dollars)...
and sometimes they're pre-felted ;)  also often you can find one in a colour that you would like to use as a cloak...

Okay...one clarification...the  people who walk out of nowhere
and criticize someone they don't know...aren't period nazis...they're idiots...
the people who know what real "period stuff" is...don't do that...

Now...if you walk up to someone who you've been told has a good knowledge
of period clothes...and you ask them if your clothes are period
and they start to critique you...and forget to be tactful...cause they're tired, or
their blood sugar has dropped...or...they're worried about other things...

don't take personal offense...
lots of times research geeks don't have automatic tact generators...

LDeerSlayer

john fry <jefisme03 at gmail.com> wrote: ok I've been reading along with your period not period posts, and now I want to know how do you go period on a budget. I'm a current student with limited amounts of money to spend on garb, but I still want to go to an event or two when I have a chance, without being slapped around by the period nazis.