[Ansteorra] Sewing question while we are on the topic of authenticity

Genie Barrett maggie.gene at justinanimator.com
Wed Sep 20 11:52:43 PDT 2006

At 01:37 PM 9/20/2006, you wrote:

>I went looking for the pattern, but can't find it, but this tunic from
>Kass McGann has the part I have the question about,
>http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/FirstGarb.html
>
>When you are putting the gore into the slit up the middle of the
>back-how do you do this so it lays right and looks nice on the outside?

I don't know anything about Kass's pattern, but you might use this
site.  I do, and really like the results:

http://sca-garb.freeservers.com/articles/cotehardie.html

About halfway down the page, she has some drawings of how to do it on
a sewing machine.

>I looked at so many this weekend at Mooneschadowe and am really curious
>on how to get it to really look good.  The next thing I'm planning on
>making is out of a linen I really love and I would so like it to look
>nice. I can run up a trial out of another fabric, to check procedure.

Good idea.  Once you get it, it's easy, but the first time was a
touch confusing.

>This is two parted, as one is how to securly sew the v so that it is
>secure and lays correctly.  The second part has more to do with where
>you make this v fall.  I noticed that where these fall in the back makes
>a large difference in how they look and flow.  I have a fairly swayed
>back and not small (anything in all actuality), so I would like to have
>this be as flattering as possible.

I cannot help you here.  Some one else can, though.  I'm still trying
to figure that one out myself.  GRIN
My first guess, is to put the top of the V where your hips begin to
swell out (just below the waist), but that's probably too high.

Good Luck
Maggie MacPherson