[Ansteorra] Sewing question while we are on the topic of authenticity

Susan catmafia at hughes.net
Wed Sep 20 11:37:01 PDT 2006

I have been working on making some of the geometric tunics as opposed to
my old friend the 'one curved side-seam' T-tunics.  I'm doing ok with
the gussets, although I always have to resew at leaste once for getting
it attached to the wrong part of the seam or something.  I did the
trapazoids on the side for skirt fullness, the ones where they were
attached to two side pieces that were attached to the side-if that makes
sense.

I went looking for the pattern, but can't find it, but this tunic from
Kass McGann has the part I have the question about,
http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/beginners/FirstGarb.html

When you are putting the gore into the slit up the middle of the
back-how do you do this so it lays right and looks nice on the outside?
I looked at so many this weekend at Mooneschadowe and am really curious
on how to get it to really look good.  The next thing I'm planning on
making is out of a linen I really love and I would so like it to look
nice. I can run up a trial out of another fabric, to check procedure.

This is two parted, as one is how to securly sew the v so that it is
secure and lays correctly.  The second part has more to do with where
you make this v fall.  I noticed that where these fall in the back makes
a large difference in how they look and flow.  I have a fairly swayed
back and not small (anything in all actuality), so I would like to have
this be as flattering as possible.

Thanks for the input,
Susan
who tries, but has so many memory problems I often what I even managed
to get right in the past