[Ansteorra] Start/end of Period

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Thu Sep 21 12:57:51 PDT 2006

For years I have been reading a wonderful space opera about a woman
named Honor Harrington who lives in the far future and serves in the
space navy of the Star Kingdom of Manticore. It's a very fun series with
great lessons on honor and duty. More to the point, the SCA is mentioned
in a few of the books. In fact, Honor learned to shoot gunpowder based
handguns from her uncle who plays 20th C. in the SCA and owns an ancient
Desert Eagle .45 cal. pistol.

I don't think that getting too fanatical about our time limits serves
us. I can understand how seeing, say, a British Redcoat at an
Elizabethan event could be jarring. Though I do wonder why that is more
jarring that seeing an early Roman. Perhaps some day we will find a way
to be more inclusive overall while making our individual events less
"jarring".

I think the big tent has served us well and made us the 800 lb gorilla
of historical organizations. We do need a limit but I think our focus on
history (rather than fantasy, fiction or Sci Fi) is a good limit.

Christian Doré