[Ansteorra] What's happening here?

Morgan Buchanan morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 24 06:13:54 PDT 2006

First, dear lady, PLEASE don't think I'm singling you out.  Several others
have made this statement but yours was the most sussinct and I was feeling
far too lazy to do all the cutting and quoting this morning.  And I know you
said that you felt this "personally."  Others stated it even more directly,
I'm addressig the concept in particular of your last statement, in
particular the use of the word "should."

Every time I hear this type of statement, I think several things...

One:  Can anyone actually introduce me to someone who ONLY plays for the
cookies?  I'm not talking about giving me an opinion of someone that one
THINKS "only plays for the cookies" but actually someone who's willing to
state, "Yeah, this medieval crud is annoying...I just want the awards."  I
mean really.

Two:  Let's say they actually exist.  Who appointed anyone to be judge of
the validity of reasons to play the game?  Why is "goal and award
orientation" a less worthy dream than "dressup up like mad max and hitting
people with a stick" for example?

Mind you, I happen to basically agree with the spirit of your philosophy.
When someone plays this game for the love of it, I will admit that I am more
likely to put in an award recomendation for that individual for the thing
they're doing that they love than I am if it seems that they're doing
something as a check box for some greater goal.  As an example, if a fighter
is marshalling in what seems, or even is stated to be, "just" so he can be
seen doing some service because he desired advancement in the fighting
community, I'm far less likely to to fill out an award recommendation for a
sable crane.  And that is my right.  However, it is NOT my right to say that
he "should" be marshalling "just for the love of the game."

Morgan