[Ansteorra] Stolen from the Ealdomerian Lexicon

elizabeth at crouchet.com elizabeth at crouchet.com
Sun Sep 24 07:42:44 PDT 2006

Me describing something of mine as Just So would give me a handle to describe the intent behind it. It also reminds me of
those old "Just So" Stories. Somethings/people can't be explained, they just are. Why are some people into the "period" quest?
They just are.

People use labels as handles. Anything can be made to sound bad but this one seems to have no implicit negative
connotations. It gives me a way to describe a thing or an ideal in an untimidating manner. It makes it more of a personal quest.
To me, it implies that >I< am working towards a personal ideal without inflicting it on anyone else, except that they might have
to see me wearing it or using it at an event. And maybe not everything I do is Just So.

The SCA is full of handles; I encourage anyone to use any language that is more positive or at least less negative any chance
they get, if it helps the situation. (please do not take that to an extreme, sometimes negative language is appropriate). A
positive attitude can help more people who want to be here to enjoy it even more.

People should be in the SCA because they want to share history and because they want to be here: to have fun, to get cookies,
to learn skills, to meet new people, to play dress up, whatever, just as long as they want to be here, and when they don't want
to anymore they should be able to leave until they want to come back.

Their clothing needs to be by our own rules only Just Enough but it can be Just OK, Just Good, Just Right, Just Beautiful, or
Just So depending on personal preference.

This works for me. Your mileage may vary.

I am finding many positive things in these recent threads despite that fact that many of the questions have been brought up
because of negative circumstances. I have found much information that I can use, some I won't use and some I now have to go
digging into because you all have roused my curiosity! BTW, thanks ya'll, like  I needed, something more to research, grins. In
my opinion that is a good discussion.  (I have tried to ignore the negative posts that ultimately have not contributed to
progress.)

Again, YMMV but I enjoy a good discussion.

Claire