[Ansteorra] Stolen from the Ealdomerian Lexicon

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 10:41:57 PDT 2006

At 11:54 PM 9/23/2006, you wrote:

>Because the first two terms that people
>think of in regard to people who
>like and try to do period stuff are
>  "period police" and "period nazi"...

Wait a minute. I think that's too broad a brush. *My* understanding
is that "period police/period nazi" is someone who gives others a
hard time for not meeting *their* standard of authenticity, not the
folks who like/do period stuff.

If, for example, I make and wear drop-dead gorgeous Elisabethan
outfit, how is that giving anyone else a hard time (unless it incites
envy or some such) or otherwise interfeing with anyone else's
enjoyment of the SCA?

(Personally, I think "oaf" or "boor" is a perfectly acceptable term
for someone who gives others a hard time for not meeting *their*
standard of authenticity, and a response along the lines of "that's
interesting, does this mean  thatyou're volunteering to make me more
suitable clothes?" is perfectly valid.)

         -Tivar Moondragon