[Ansteorra] First Event

medicfem at aol.com medicfem at aol.com
Sun Sep 24 18:40:53 PDT 2006

 I can remember being introduced to the SCA at the student union building of a local junior college in 1992. I was far to poor to participate in anything during my college years.

I didn't actually attend my first event until Seige of the Mission, Feb 13-15, 1998 at the urging of a dear friend of mine who was now too sick with cancer to attend one more event. So she put me in her garb, gave me some feast gear, a mug, a cloak, a notebook of songs to sing, and told me to go have fun. Go sing a song for her by a camp fire. I picked the name Danielle from the movie Ever After and off I went.

I was floored when Dolphin came and introduced himself. He bowed and kissed the back of my hand. Wow! I could get use to this! And then the fighting and the feast! I was completely in aww. It was a cold rainy event, but I loved it under my friends large, patchy, torn, gold cloak!

The SCA has seen my life change in these eight years. My friend died shortly after my first event. I still to this day carry a piece of her garb with me to all the events I attend.

I have done much to make her proud of me. I was The gatekeeper and MOC at Seige of the Mission II, engaged to be married at Seige of the Abbey XI. Autocrated at Seawinds Defender VII. Feastocrated at Seawinds Defender IX. Autocrated again Coastal Invasion IV. Fought for the first time in armor at Gulf Wars IX. I have been the shire chirurgeon for eight years, the coastal regional chirurgeon for a year, the hospitaler for going on one year and the Deputy Kingdom Chirurgeon of Training for 2 years now.

My SCA life is full and I am loving it!

Caley