[Ansteorra] First Event

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 24 23:17:50 PDT 2006

On Sep 25, 2006, at 12:58 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2006, at 12:09 AM, BeckysQuilt at aol.com wrote:
>
>> Quest for the Mud...was that the one where everyone's cars where
>> stuck in the
>> field and we had to be pulled out with a tractor?
>>
>> Elizabeth D.
>
> Hmmm. That doesn't narrow it down very much. I can think of a number
> of events which that describes. :-)
>
> Besides, why would you quest for the mud? There's often more than
> enough of that to go around. Like in Gunthar's Gulf War. :-)
>
> Stefan

It was a Black, White and Sort of Grey, if my memory serves. That's
the event where a very nice man named David came along on Saturday
morning with his tractor and rescued many who were stuck. (This was
after Don Robert, et al, had spent much of Friday evening doing it
the hard way, by hand.) He was thenceforth dubbed "Saint David", and
apparently felt so welcome by us that he joined, took the name David
St. David, and eventually became Baron of Ravensfort.

Unless I'm mixing up events in my mind, that's the event where
Hillary Greenslade's car bottomed out in the mud in the middle of the
erstwhile parking field. A gang of "beefy young men" (and some not so
beefy) (and some not so young) surrounded the car and manually lifted
it out of the goo. I was the lightest and smallest present (which
should tell you something about the beefcake assembled) and was
unanimously voted on the spot to be the one to sit in the driver's
seat and try to drive Hillary's car out of the mud... assuming that
we were able to lift it out of the mud in the first place. Everyone
lifted, the car floated for a moment, I carefully engaged the
accelerator, and miraculously drove out of that sodden place to
higher ground. Hillary told me later that she had a moment of alarm
when she realized I wasn't going to just drive a few feet, and kept
on going... and going...

What she didn't know was there was *no way* I was going to let the
car stop forward motion (if I could help it) until it was on solid
ground again. :-)

Michael Silverhands