[Ansteorra] Telling someone that what they are doing is not period

Ruh lnd.lindsey at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 13 23:16:19 PDT 2006

This goes for all period activities, not just garb but I'm going to use one of the incidents you referred to as a specific example.  Instead of saying something like, "You won't get high scores in A&S if you bead on polyester," you can say something like, "Ooo, I love to see beaded work!  You know, if you did it on cotton/silk/velvet... you could enter it in an A&S competition."  Or, if you are someone they look to for instruction say something like, "Hmm, let's see how you do and then maybe copy the pattern onto a period fabric and enter it in A&S."

For garb, sometimes it can be as simple as saying that you like the style they chose and would love to try it in a period fabric.  If it's the style of garb, you can tell them, "You know, I always had trouble with that style until someone showed me how to make gussets," and then proceed to teach them when they ask you what the heck a gusset is.

Or, hold a short class for newcomers at events about how to tell period fabrics from more modern ones.  While in the class mention period silhouettes without going into details.  Make sure it's short and sweet, taking place at the event they are attending and well publicized.  Give them your contact information in case they are interested in finding out more.  You will have takers.  You will make new friends.  More people will be bitten by the bug.

Lady Edith Grey