[Ansteorra] Telling someone that what they are doing is notperiod

Virginia Gatling ginlee at cnbcom.net
Thu Sep 14 18:06:25 PDT 2006

Not period! Regina's definition: It's really an excuse and subject of
conversation to make one feel better about themselves and not take
responsibility for not being perfect; or OK, it's not period; let's make it
period! Crochet anyone? Let's use fisher hooks to make knots!;-)

Don't get me started! Ambiance! Ambiance! Ambiance! Think of a time when the
Lighting was right, Banners flying, the Clash of Weapons, the Army of
Ansteorra in its Black & Gold going into battle (Outlands, Gulf & Pennsics
Wars), the Army returning from war, ( be it heavy, rapier,seige weapon etc.)
a good bardic fire (can I tell you of great performers), smoke rising in the
mist at old Ravensfort when the horns were saying goodbye to a fallen
comrade, all going about their chosen paths in "garb" (not jeans & t-shirts
with logos on them, not with cokes in their hands) who cares what material
garb is made of (unless it is so bad I can't stand it or for A&S ). I make
an "attempt" to be in period "garb" and I make an "attempt" to have a period
set-up ( I have had totally period set ups in years past and they are a pain
but I enjoy the ambience). I am also guilty of leaving my vehicle near my
camp, having a can in my tent ( I don't like it but I tolerate it; because I
notice that "everyone else does the same thing and no one cares about the
ambience anymore". I TRY not to do these things but I'm getting old and
lazy. I have made comments and regretted them later.

My observations over the last twenty plus years are thus.....until 1996 I
didn't notice the small changes ( more inside one day events ), labels on
water bottles, conversations about computers and games as you walk by
pavilions, chip wrappers & soda cans in sight, no persona play anymore, no
one helping & and being polite anymore ( no common courtesy) and personal
agendas and character bashing. I would never go into another's camp area
without hailing the camp first. Today I see adults & children just treating
others camps like their own., eating food, picking up what they want, going
into tents etc. without permission (one time a child came into my pavilion
ate something off a tray and left the uneaten part on the tray and left, I
have no idea who she was or to whom she belonged).

Over the last few years I have noticed that many want the glory, status and
rank the SCA has to offer and they do not seem to care who they hurt in the
process, some want everyone to play by their rules and how "they" play the
game, others make up the rules to suit themselves for their own goals,
others just sit on their "laurels, pelicans, hats etc."  and others do what
is politically correct by some system I am unaware and then they either quit
playing or become "god-like".( I'll never attain peerage now for sure!) I'm
sure this is all "period" but does it help us retain members.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone (then maybe I'm not; it depends on who you
are!). The ME world! Instant gratification not willing to work for anything
want it given to you on a silver platter! Get off it!  Start looking at what
you are doing before you talk about what someone else's is doing. Talk to
that person before spreading rumors or using the "I was told it WAS NOT
PERIOD thing! START WITH THE PERSON WHO BROUGHT YOU INTO THE SCA! Everyone
should know the ground rules before going to their first event and if they
don't it may be the because they were not given proper info or you are just
looking for another type of "cheap bar" to go to for the week-end. ( Me, the
SCA was a yearning and a release from job pressure ( you know that life &
death thing); I found a flyer in the Presidio of Monterey in 1978-1979 and
the SCA was for me, I moved to Berlin, Germany in 1980 and kept it with me
until I arrived in Texas in late 1985, a group of us found the Shire of
Middleford and started playing as best we could without guidance.) Learn,
Read, ask for help; if you run into someone who is a brick wall find someone
else to help; petition the crown if you feel you are abused ( beheadings are
done every Saturday before court ) come see me or just grow up & go back to
mommy!( No don't go to mommy (she doesn't want you)! Just grow up and learn
from you mistakes.)

Now what I would do! Dress your newbie's in basic early period for their
first event, then teach them to make their own , help them acquire basic
items like feast gear etc. ( I paid feast my first event but didn't have
feast gear ; I've never forgotten mine since). It is not our responsibility
to provide paper plates, cups or plastic serviceware for all attendees to
events. At Queens there were persons who were down right indignant because
we didn't have paper plates and forks) all persons need to take the
responsibility to provide for their own needs to include water and
hydration, child care, proper clothing etc. That is another can of worms.
Please remove the labels from water bottles or make bags for them.(Personal
plug!) Give newbie's the tools to learn how to play the game and guide them
to a path to help them achieve their goals not yours. Let them fly!
Ambiance! Ambiance! Ambiance! Research! Research! How many will now stand up
and say Yes, I learned that from Regina! I'm going to start a fire with my
soapbox now! Anyone for bardic?

To get back to the original thread- get over it and go on it was probably a
bad hair day!

A misty evening in Eldern while walking my ferrets through the woods I saw
the flickering of fires; I heard a voice so strong; something pulling me
closer; no not War! What was this? I just finished my first tourney- a swiss
five- my foes Duke Inman, Duke Micheal, HLCorrine and two others. I did
well. Time to party. That voice, pulling me closer. Where did all these
people come from? The cry of war drums! Yes War! Let's go kill tonight! I
turn to my comrades all with fire in their eyes and we head for War!
Outlands here we come! Wait! We Can't go now! The war is next month. My
first encounter with Sir Ricardo de Pisa.

OK, who's at fault: Everyone!  So let's make it better. Got a problem pet a
ferret and your troubles fade away! or you have a wound to bandage.

Volunteer! Volunteer! I need your help at the Roses tourney in Nov. Come
one! Come all! Shameless plug! E-mail me and sign up.

In Service,
Countess Regina