[Ansteorra] Telling someone that what they are doing isnotperiod

Daralynn Brittain elspeth013 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 15 05:44:49 PDT 2006

Our newcomer was excited to go to his first events.  We drove him, help set
him up in armor, bought him his first sword, bought him his first feastware
gear, and loaned him tunics until he could start buying his own material for
me to sew his others.  I feel if you bring someone in, they should be yours
until they are on their feet and running.  Now we have nylon tents, because
right now, with 2 boys to raise, we cannot afford a more period pavillion.
We will someday, but right now we have other resposibilities.  I do try to
hide all coolers and tables with cloths, but sometimes I miss one.  My garb
has been the hardest.  Instead of looking up and down at my dress, take me
aside and set up a sewing day for me.  That  was what I wanted.  I found a
couple of ladies that did that, and things are getting better.  Maybe a
Baronial college type thing that actually shows someone how to cut out and
sew a basic tunic, as well as other "hands on" classes would be great.
Somewhere where we can set up a bunch of sewing machines and show people,
new or not, how easy it is to do basic garb.  Beading, applique, and other
hands on classes would be great.

In the meantime, we have a great time at events, talking with everyone and
competing, and will continue to do so.

Elspeth