[Ansteorra] Telling someone that what they are doing is notperiod

Judie Willey littledragon0861 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 06:29:57 PDT 2006

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been following these posts and keeping my mouth shut as much as
possible...but thank you for expressing so well what we are trying to look
for.

We need to get our newcomers past the "peer fear", and help to guide them
into the extent of "period" that is their comfort zone.

It took 13 years to get Lord Torquil into more garb than a tunic with
jeans...he just wasnt ready:)

And speaking of feast gear...shamless plug.....we were discussing a 2 day
all day class for Newcomers to make feast gear so they have it for 12th
night. we havn't settled dates yet...but the 2 days will be over a 2 month
period and their gear will be ready before 12th night. Old timers will be
welcome as well...the dishes will be pre-poured, and the cost will be for
the greenware, glaze and firing. ( sorry we just cant afford to front the
materials for that many)

Anyway, back tot he discussion...I think our first goal is to help people be
comfortable with what we do...then worry about how "period" (or accurate as
possible with modern materials to be more precise) they become.

OK , my turn to get off the soap box

YIS,
Rebbe Hadassah Sarai bas Yossi
MoC, Steppes

On 9/14/06, Virginia Gatling <ginlee at cnbcom.net> wrote:

> Not period! Regina's definition: It's really an excuse and subject of
> conversation to make one feel better about themselves and not take
> responsibility for not being perfect; or OK, it's not period; let's make
> it
> period! Crochet anyone? Let's use fisher hooks to make knots!;-)
>
> Don't get me started! Ambiance! Ambiance! Ambiance! Think of a time when
> the
> Lighting was right, Banners flying, the Clash of Weapons, the Army of
> Ansteorra in its Black & Gold going into battle (Outlands, Gulf & Pennsics
> Wars), the Army returning from war, ( be it heavy, rapier,seige weapon
> etc.)
> a good bardic fire (can I tell you of great performers), smoke rising in
> the
> mist at old Ravensfort when the horns were saying goodbye to a fallen
> comrade, all going about their chosen paths in "garb" (not jeans &
> t-shirts
> with logos on them, not with cokes in their hands) who cares what material
> garb is made of (unless it is so bad I can't stand it or for A&S ). I make
> an "attempt" to be in period "garb" and I make an "attempt" to have a
> period
> set-up ( I have had totally period set ups in years past and they are a
> pain
> but I enjoy the ambience). I am also guilty of leaving my vehicle near my
> camp, having a can in my tent ( I don't like it but I tolerate it; because
> notice that "everyone else does the same thing and no one cares about the
> ambience anymore". I TRY not to do these things but I'm getting old and
> lazy. I have made comments and regretted them later.
>
> My observations over the last twenty plus years are thus.....until 1996 I
> didn't notice the small changes ( more inside one day events ), labels on
> water bottles, conversations about computers and games as you walk by
> pavilions, chip wrappers & soda cans in sight, no persona play anymore, no
> one helping & and being polite anymore ( no common courtesy) and personal
> agendas and character bashing. I would never go into another's camp area
> without hailing the camp first. Today I see adults & children just
> treating
> others camps like their own., eating food, picking up what they want,
> going
> into tents etc. without permission (one time a child came into my pavilion
> ate something off a tray and left the uneaten part on the tray and left, I
> have no idea who she was or to whom she belonged).
>
> Over the last few years I have noticed that many want the glory, status
> and
> rank the SCA has to offer and they do not seem to care who they hurt in
> the
> process, some want everyone to play by their rules and how "they" play the
> game, others make up the rules to suit themselves for their own goals,
> [...]

MoC Barony of Steppes