[Ansteorra] More on "period"(mustard)

gail young gwynethb63 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 16 06:43:24 PDT 2006

    On Sep 15, 2006, at 2:43 PM, Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace wrote:
> Ultimately, I think being authentic in one's re-creation efforts
> has to end
> at a point of diminishing returns. It's rather like cooking from
> scratch. I
> make pancakes, crepe, sauces, vinaigrettes, marinades, and
> soufflees from
> scratch, but what constitutes "scratch" for me might be taking
> shortcuts to
> some. I make my own Hollandaise, for example, because it's quick
> and mine is
> much better than the prepared crap in the stores. On the other
> hand, I've
> never mixed my own mustard. Grey Poupon works quite well in my
> sauces, so
> why put in the extra time to work out the proportions and whip out
> the lumps
> when what I want is right there on the shelf?

I make period mustard as Christmas presents.  If you use already ground mustard seed (which works just fine), it isn't hard to do but it takes a few weeks to set up correctly and you have to find an appropriate way to store it.
  No matter how hard I try, I can't make it "mild"...spicy is the best I can get and HOT is usually the outcome, something like chinese mustard.
  Now back to our regularly scheduled conversation...
  gwyneth