[Ansteorra] What's an AoA mean?

Morgan Buchanan morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 17 05:02:56 PDT 2006

I know you asked for past royals who've given them out to describe what they
are, and hopefully you'll get some of them to answer, but please allow me to
answer as a past royal herald and multi time entourage member.

The wording of the award text is pretty vague.  "In recognition of diverse
efforts to enrich our realm" is the key phrase.

What you will honostly find is that the reasons for getting an AoA can be an
absolutely unique as the combination of royals and populace can be.  There
are infinite "reasons" but they all boil down to that key phrase:  The
Enrichment of the Realm.  Those are not hollow words.  They are a very
sincere thank you from the Crown to a (usually) relatively new person for
making the game better by their very presence.

You may hear other things like time in game, often stated as "about a year"
or some type of service or what have you.  But the reality is that attending
events, serving your local group or a region or the kingdom, just jumping in
with both feet and doing what you like...all of these things enrich the
realm.

Noone but the Crown has the power and privilege to give someone their AoA,
but the experienced members of your local group certainly have the power to
put in award recommendations to the crown based on their own criteria, but
the final arbiter is the Crown.  Every Crown I've served directly found
giving AoA's as a singular honor, and one to be cherrished.  Your milage may
vary, but I doubt it.

Yours most sincerely,
Sir Morgan Buchanan