[Ansteorra] What's an AoA mean?

faolon faolon at plaiddragon.net
Sun Sep 17 08:17:09 PDT 2006

Ok.. I don't often offer my 2 cents (unless noone has asked for it) but I feel that I have a slightly different veiw.

Yes, an AOA is something to be proud of. I was in the SCA for some 15 years before receiving mine.
Moving every 3 to five years and work disrupting my ability to play from time to time. (like now for example)
When people found out I didn't have one they were often shocked and would mention something about rectifying
the situation. I would humbly ask them not to though because I saw no more meaning in it than time in the game and wanted it to mean something more. So I would tell them when I could go to an event in my own region and be recognized by at least 1/4 of the people there then I would be ready for an AOA. Ofcourse it wasn't until I received mine that I realised I had far surpassed my own criteria.

So I guess what I'm saying is the for me an AOA is the recognition that you belong in the SCA and we like the way you play your part in the Dream. In this way it is a very high honor indeed but one must find their own interpretation for it and when someone is ready put them in for it.

As some have said there is no hard and fast rule for getting an AOA but there is meaning behind it if you search hard enough.

Faolon Muirchu