[Ansteorra] What's an AoA mean?

Lori Campbell countesskat at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 09:15:53 PDT 2006

> Faolon said:
> So I guess what I'm saying is the for me an AOA is the recognition
> that you belong in the SCA and we like the way you play your part in
> the Dream.

I think for us that was at the heart of why we approved any
recommendation for an AOA.

Lots has been said about specific criteria (name/device registry,
tenure in the SCA, age of recipient, acceptable garb, genteel behavior,
offices, autocratting, etc...)

We didn't have an official (or even an unofficial) checklist of
criteria.  Occasionally we would consider the age of the person (mostly
because we didn't want anyone to miss a milestone they might have been
looking forward to) or how long someone has been playing (though it
only came up once or twice, we never let too short a time in be a
deterrent on someone who was truly deserving).

The bottom line for us was very much a matter of "does this person make
the SCA a better place for others through their participation?" and
"have they made a place for themselves in our society?"

We were pretty adamant, too, about not giving an AoA level award
(thistle, crane, etc.) unless someone had first received their AoA.
Awards of Arms were very near and dear to our hearts and we felt
everyone was entitled to that moment when they received theirs.

- Kat MacLochlainn