[Ansteorra] Telling someone that what they are doing is notperiod

Deirdre ladydeirdre at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 17 12:05:43 PDT 2006

I have to tell you - this stunned me as I read it - I started in the SCA in
al-Barran over 15 years ago - my first several bits of garb left quite a bit
to be desired in the period arena, and my mundane tents still are part of my
camp - and in 15 years NO ONE has ever commented on my garb not being
period - I learned as I went along - my Laurel is the only person who's ever
spoken to me about my garb - and as much as I love that dress, I haven't
been able to bring myself to wear it again.
I also will continue using my mundane tent because I really have issues with
bugs in my bed - I won't camp without zippers and floors - believe me, if
they'd had them in period, they'd have used them. And again no one has ever
had the audacity to actually say anything to me. If they did, I'd offer to
let them check my tent and bed, and keep my camp spider free for the event -
or they'd be cordially invited to take themselves somewhere else where the
site of my spider-free tent does not offend them so much.

I DO NOT approve of jumping all over newcomers about their garb - a polite
suggestion, etc is the best way to handle it. And who ever is telling you
cotton is not period needs to have their head examined - I overheard a
hospitaler telling someone once that diamonds are not period. Of course, she
was an idiot.

To the Newcomers: Please do not let people upset you - you play the game as
best you can, time and budget and knowledge permitting - as you're in
longer, you'll learn what is good and what is not. I still wear flip flops
to summer events, because at least I'm wearing shoes at all - which I hate
doing anytime.  And... purple is period and is not reserved for royalty.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Deirdre