[Ansteorra] period on a budget

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Tue Sep 19 07:15:31 PDT 2006

john fry wrote:
> ok I've been reading along with your period not period posts, and now I want
> to know how do you go period on a budget. I'm a current student with limited
> amounts of money to spend on garb, but I still want to go to an event or two
> when I have a chance, without being slapped around by the period nazis.

You have gotten some good advice on this and I especially agree that
using cheap imitations of expensive things does not work out. For
instance, most "gold" looks really cheesy. Just avoid the gold, jewels,
fine silk  (or their fake replacements) and other  expensive stuff. They
are not needed anyway to make a most costumes look right. When you are
ready for those things, get the real thing or at least look at the real
thing and pick out imitations that look like the real thing. Of course,
those imitations much more expensive than the cheesy ones.

Also, invest the time to do it well. Learn what you need from someone
who knows. Get a pattern that allows you to construct your clothes
properly, and help in doing that well. Once you know how much and about
what fabric you want, keep shopping the sale tables and checking the web
specials and eventually you will see the right fabric in a natural fiber
for less than the regular price of a synthetic. This is not about
procrastinating but about doing the leg work. The price you pay for
saving money is time. However, you also get to learn some interesting
things, have spiffy clothes and have the satisfaction of completing a
well done project.

As the old saw says: Fast, Easy, Cheap, Good; pick two. So if you want
Good and Cheap you don't get Fast or Easy.

Christian Doré