[Ansteorra] period on a budget

Susan catmafia at hughes.net
Tue Sep 19 10:28:31 PDT 2006

I'm speaking from experience of both trying to start and equip myself
and two daughters and then two years of experience as a hospitaller.  We
had a tradition of going on what we called 'Drape and Pillage', where we
would go out as a group and hit local fabric stores.  These were
incredible adventures and some of the most fun I've had in the SCA.  I
was so sad when we lost our upscale fabric store, it was a great class
in differentiating various types of silk and wool as instructed by a
local Laurel.

In addition to this, I think having get togethers where members bring
various types of garb and the newcomers get to look, feel, and sometimes
try on is invaluable.  We had these fairly regularly, when we'd have a
large number of newcomers and it was easier to do as a group instead of
individually.  From these, we would often then draft patterns for
various items (plastic sheeting and sharpie markers are great for this)
and occasionally had times where people brought their fabric and
machines and we got some simple garb made up.

It really helps to have someone step in and help with just getting a
couple of basic tunics done up, as when you are new and very interested
it is overwhelming trying to figure out everything at once.  These
tunics can always be used, even when you develop a persona that they do
not fit, for setting up camp, doing dishes, and other tasks including
taking along to events as loaner garb if someone needs.  I think they
are the nicest thing to gift to newcomers.

One other thing looking back that I would have liked would have been
making one set of garb out of really good fabric with extra
underclothes, as opposed to several different items; but my biggest
challenge was finding clothing that I felt comfortable in and didn't
seem like a costume.  This was the part of trying on various garments
that helped me to find what I was comfortable in, I know that I've given
away more than half of the garb I've made myself because it just wasn't
something I enjoyed wearing once it was done.

Susan
remember the dollar rack at Wal-Mart is well worth watching