[Ansteorra] Sources of inexpensive "period" fabric and accessories

Robin Lindsey moiranliam at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 21 05:17:55 PDT 2006

Fabric:  The dollar table at Wal-Mart. for starters....  I also watch for
end-of-season sales at Jo-Ann's and Hancock's.  There's a fabric district
up in Dallas somewhere, I'm sure someone on the list knows about that...

My favorite source for linen is www.sewingcentral.com also known as the
Merlion's Tail at Gulf Wars.  Silk Noil for $6/yd, linens for $8-10/yd.
Their prices have gone up in recent years unfortunately, but their quality
is consistent and the customer service can't be beat.  Even if it says "out
of stock" on the website, sometimes you can call and they will have a yard
or 2 left, if you need a small amount.

I've seen a lot of selection for colors of Linen at www.denverfabrics.com.
They also carry silks.

Last, if you feel like dyeing your own linen and silk, there is
www.silkconnection.com.

Don't ask me about wool, I'm clueless.  But I have seen Merlion's Tail
carry a beautiful lightweight red wool at Gulf Wars.

An inexpensive way to so trim is by paint.  You can get cool stencils and
stamps and paint a strip of fabric and sew it on.  I've been playing with
this a bit.

Moira