[Ansteorra] Start/end of Period

Lori Campbell countesskat at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 21 08:52:27 PDT 2006

> > It may be a good piece of Interkingdom Anthropology to study
> > differences that people believe the SCA covers.
> > Brendan

I'm gonna say, just for anthropology's sake, that Ansteorra does not
appear to confine itself to the period typically labeled "after the
fall of Rome".

We've always had the occasional Roman persona, but in recent years
there has been a definite trend towards people adopting a Roman mode of
dress and naming practices.

I think, perhaps, Ansteorra isn't alone in this.  As I recall, the
Grand Council's discussions were generated from concerns about similar
trends elsewhere - the idea that the SCA time period might be edging
earlier and earlier, away from the true middle ages and more towards
"late antiquity."  Some believed it to be counter to our purpose of
recreating the middle ages, hence the reason we were asked to discuss
the possibility of setting a definite start date for the period covered
by the SCA.  As Brendan said, the idea wasn't popular.

> there are a lot older folks out there!
> Alden

And I'm convinced that a fair number of them participate in Grand
Council discussions.  At almost 20 years in the Society, I'm usually
still considered a newcomer. :)

Kat MacLochlainn
(GC member, at-large)