[Ansteorra] Start/end of Period

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Thu Sep 21 08:59:55 PDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 08:52:27AM -0700, Lori Campbell wrote:
> > > It may be a good piece of Interkingdom Anthropology to study
> > > differences that people believe the SCA covers.
> > > Brendan
>
> I'm gonna say, just for anthropology's sake, that Ansteorra does not
> appear to confine itself to the period typically labeled "after the
> fall of Rome".
>
> We've always had the occasional Roman persona, but in recent years
> there has been a definite trend towards people adopting a Roman mode of
> dress and naming practices.
>
> I think, perhaps, Ansteorra isn't alone in this.  As I recall, the
> Grand Council's discussions were generated from concerns about similar
> trends elsewhere - the idea that the SCA time period might be edging
> earlier and earlier, away from the true middle ages and more towards
> "late antiquity."  Some believed it to be counter to our purpose of
> recreating the middle ages, hence the reason we were asked to discuss
> the possibility of setting a definite start date for the period covered
> by the SCA.  As Brendan said, the idea wasn't popular.
>
> > there are a lot older folks out there!
> > Alden
>
> And I'm convinced that a fair number of them participate in Grand
> Council discussions.  At almost 20 years in the Society, I'm usually
> still considered a newcomer. :)

If I recall correctly, Namron has had two Roman knights: Sir Titus,
now in the Outlands, and Sir Camerinus, now somewhere off to the East
of us the last I heard. Both of them are Olde Pharts.

I've only been playing 30 years, and some folks think _I_'m a newby,
but I enjoyed my stint on the Grand Council, too.

--
Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO