[Ansteorra] Cookies and Management....was Whats happening...

Paul Gilbert niklas at pbgilbert.net
Sat Sep 23 18:25:02 PDT 2006

Hi....

With respect....your post heavily implied that awards or cookies were
bad. I have seen this type of thread before.

It is unfortunate that persons like the young man who worked hard "fell
thru the cracks". We were fortunate to be able to correct an oversight
such as that.

Rewards are just one tool in the tool pouch of a manager/officer/etc.
that can be used to motivate and inspire people.

And yes there are those that just do not know when to shut up. Every
group has them.

Again....even if the person is playing only for the awards and is
playing in a manner that benefits the group and SCA.....welllllll...that
is a could be a good thing and can often be an asset.

Niklas

Ldyinnes at aol.com wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> Nowhere in my post did I say that awards or cookies are bad.
>
> I have known some people who were interested only in that.  I agree  that it
> is a good way to manage your group, at times,.  However not in every instance.
>  One couple who I will not name did not get their awards when they thought
> they should, and were vocal about it.   Another instance is a young man was in
> our Barony for approx 7 years before he got his AOA, and yet he still worked
> harder than anyone I have ever known.  He was there for set up and tear down,
> and working.  Helped set up camps, fought, and was always courteous, he just
> fell through the cracks.  Every one assumed he has his AOA already.  When he did
> get it he was suprised and pleased as punch.
>
> On the other hand however I have seen other people get theirs after a year or
> less, and they act as though they should have gotten it sooner.
>
> Several months ago we had a thread on our list, the Keystones list, asking
> ,,if you had to give up all of your awards, which one would you choose to keep.
> All of the keystones said they would keep their keystone.  As a Keystone I
> was one of the first to respond.  We take our duties very seriously and attempt
> to gently advise our B & B to the best of our ability.  They cannot be
> everywhere and see everything.
>
> I only said if they are playing strickly for the awards, it is for the wrong
> reasons in my opinion.
>
> Innes

Paul Gilbert, KE5ZW             H.E. Niklas Vasilevich
niklas at pbgilbert.net      CB,CSM,KGA,OTR,ORH,Crane,AoA
512-733-3035 Cellular             Kingdom of Ansteorra

            Society for Creative Anachronism

     Texas Dept. Of Transportation, Radio Operations
      Austin, Texas                  512-506-5141
                pgilber at dot.state.tx.us

                "The Eagle has landed"
  "Sable, a double-headed eagle, a bordure engrailed or"