[Ansteorra] "Playing for love" (was: What's happening here?)

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 10:53:27 PDT 2006

At 01:47 AM 9/24/2006, you wrote:
On 9/23/06, Ldyinnes at aol.com <Ldyinnes at aol.com> wrote:

 > Personally, I have always felt that  people who only play for the cookies,
 > are playing for the wrong reasons.
 >
 > They should be playing because the love the concept, the ambiance, the
 > excellent fellowship. and the fun of the game.
 >
 > Innes

>Why?  Why is "playing for love" superior?
>
>This is an honest question.
>
>JP

To *my* mind, someone who is "playing for love" is more likely to
stick around and make a permanent contribution to the SCA. Someone
who is just in it for the "rewards" is going to get bored once
they've gotten their "prize" and go off to get some other prize.
Their only real benefit to the SCA is as a bad example.

If Joe Stickjock just wants the titles, what's going to keep him
around once he becomes a duke? Ditto for Jane Pointjock and a White
Scarf, Bob Horserider and a Golden Lance, Mary Stitcher and a Laurel,
etc. On the other paw, I "maxed out" on awards over 25 years ago, but
I still play because I enjoy it (and I would *hope* I've contributed
a bit here and there. <G>)

         -Tivar Moondragon