[Ansteorra] War between Ansteorra and the Middle???

burkemc at cox.net burkemc at cox.net
Sun Sep 24 22:39:04 PDT 2006

There were three wars that pitted the forces of Ansteorra vs. the Middle Kingdom.
The first was the one that is called "Queen Willow’s War" which took place in April of 1979.  Ansteorra was a Principality of Atenveldt and it took place near what is now called the Barony of Northkeep.  It was called Queen Willow’s war because it had been planned during Jonathan and Willow reign on the Atenveldt throne but they stepped down approx one month before the war was actually fought.

The so called second Ansteorra/Middle was (it was really the first on since we had become a Kingdom) was held in Grimfells (now part of Calontir) and Lloyd and Jocelyn were sitting on the sable thrones at the time.  Most of us who attended the war called it the muck or mud war as early on Saturday the heavy rains started and they never stopped.  Since we were camping along a “formally” dry lake shore everyone packed up a left in a hurry.  People were dragging and pushing cars out of the mud all day.  One additional point, that was our first war since we had become a Kingdom,  we had a total of 34 fighters and we lost.

 The next and last war between Ansteorra and Middle Kingdom was again held in sunny Ansteorra up near Lake Oolagh which is north of Northkeep.  Our crown was Sigmund and Sieglinda and we spent the preceding year planning our response to our defeat.  This time we showed up with well over 100 fighters and out numbered our foes.  In the end Ansteorra had won a magnificent victory.  It is said by those who were there that the King Hugo of the Middle Kingdom danced on a large boulder speaking interesting word at the prowess of Ansteorra’s warriors.  The forces of the Middle withdrew that day never to come south again.  Oh, one other point, each war has a nickname and this one was no different.  The beautiful green site that we fought and camped on was covered in two foot high grass and had only been mowed a few days before the event.  Every single person who was there was attacked and defeated by the Chiggers.  Hence the last war is known as the Chigger War.

Sir Burke