[Ansteorra] What's happening here?

Lori Campbell countesskat at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 25 10:10:06 PDT 2006

> Why?  Why is "playing for love" superior?
> JP

Isn’t it pretty commonly felt that doing something for love is nobler
than engaging in self-promotion?  That’s probably why so many people
make the statement that you should do what you love because you love to
do it, not just to pursue awards.

The SCA is based on ideals.  Most of us are here because we perceive
honor and chivalry as lacking in the real world and we want to make a
place where they are the driving forces behind
 well
 anything.

It’s the difference between saying “I only do work that is highly
visible because awards are given for what you are *seen* doing” instead
of “I love knowing that because I did this job, other people got to
come to this event and have a good time.”

Yeah, both schools of thought are present (and taught) in the SCA, but
one is decidedly less self-serving than the other.  We each probably
have to decide for ourselves which is superior.

Kat M.