[Ansteorra] Love and recognition

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 25 14:09:32 PDT 2006

Salut cozyns,

"Love is a many splendored thing.
Love lifts us up where we belong.
All you need is love."

Okay, aside from quoting a trio of pop songs and one seriously weird movie,
this little tercet does make a point.

Love is mythic, iconic, archetypal, and all-conquering. Love is a Platonic
form. Even when it appears in it's conventional lowercase presentation, Love
is capitalized. Can't you just hear the capital L?

Identifying the two sides of this debate (as if there were only two) with
Love on one side and cookies on the other begs the question. If your side is
for Love, it has to be right. Any dissenting opinions are obvious
misanthropy. And cookies? Really. How perfectly insigniicant. Tristan and
Isolde versus the Keebler Elves. For anything but a bake-off, I'll give you
the elves and ten-to-one.

That said, Her Excellency's point is still valid. Even if I change the word
from Love to the less frequently capitalized "like" or the much blander
"interest" or even the jejeune "fun"--the point works:

Experience generally shows that, if you take part in an activity because you
like it, because it interests you, because you think it's fun, you're more
likely to stick with it when difficulties arise with finances or
personalities or family. The knight who fights because she's having a good
time is more likely to have time to teach you than Sir Narcissus, who
learned to fight and pushed his way up through the ranks because he thought
he'd look cool in a gold chain.

Of course, that's not the final word on this argument. There is no final
word. Numerous polls in the past two decades have related that young
Americans are more likely to stay with a job that provides a challenge or
gives employees a sense of accomplishment. Still, you don't find too many
who are willing to give up salary to stay in a challenging, meaningful job.
You find even less who are willing to work for free.

In the specific case of the SCA, as a society we've always been somewhat
schizophrenic about the matter of awards and recognition. Even most of the
folks who complain about "cookies" rarely seem willing to apply that term to
the peerages. A peerage isn't an award, we're told, it's a recognition. A
peer, says the ideology, is already a peer when the crown (having consulted
the appropriate circle) recognizes said peer's qualities. In my experience
this is occasionally true.

There also seems to be a cultural between attitudes in the different
peerages. When I was living in Artemisia, back when it was a principality, I
sat in a half dozen joint peer circles. (I've never seen one in Ansteorra,
and the suggestion tends to be met with a greenish pallor and clamminess not
unlike the sudden onset of mal de mer.) In those Atenveldtan peers' circles,
what I generally heard regarding expectations for squires, apprentices, and
protégés went something like this:

Laurels:  "They have to work for it, strive for it, want it, and be it. They
should never admit, however, that they want it."

Chivalry:  "I take a squire with the explicit understanding that the
squire's ultimate goal is membership in the Chivalry. A squire who doesn't
'want it' is a waste of my time."

Pelicans: "Recognition should come as a complete surprise. Pelicans should
be so service-oriented that they just can't *not* want to serve. If you're
thinking about awards and recognition, you'll  make far-reaching decisions
that serve only to cover your own derrier."

No surprise, these circles frequently ended in a deadlock over several
candidates. Hmm. I think there's a good sirventes somewhere in this topic.

lo vostre per vos servir
Meser Lyonel
Micel yfel deth se unwritere.
		--AElfric of York