[Ansteorra] history of SCA placenames

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 25 10:30:11 PDT 2006

>StefanliRous at austin.rr.com Nord? Nord -> Northkeep?
>I don't think I've heard about that before. Did "Nord" get turned
>down by the heralds? Or did the populace just decide to change the
>name? Someone want to tell me the story of this for my Florilegium
>placenames-msg file?

I'll tell you *a* story.  I won't say it's *the* story.

>Nord? Nord -> Northkeep?
>I don't think I've heard about that before. Did "Nord" get turned  down by
>the heralds? Or did the populace just decide to change the  name? Someone
>want to tell me the story of this for my Florilegium  placenames-msg file?

The name Nord-aus-das Strom (“North of the Storm”) for the Tulsa, OK group
first appeared the Sable Star, the Ansteoran Principality Newsletter in
1977.  The shire’s first newsletter was called “Strom Winds”, and there are
no known extant copies, darn it.  The name was later changed to Nordlische
Sturm (same meaning, more or less).  Why it was named that is said to be a
commentary on political events elsewhere.  (For the record, whever it was
who was complaining about the Society being more political – the SCA has
pretty much always had politics).

There were numerous suggested revisions for the name once it was officially
chartered in 1981 (mostly since political commentary regarding other groups
was though to be not really an appropriate basis for a group’s name).

The name Northkeep was passed in 1984.  I think the meaning of a safe
fortress in the North of the Kingdom is still present, but without the tacky
other connotations, so people were much happier.

Marc/Diarmaid