[Ansteorra] history of SCA placenames

Kevin Varner kvarner at austin.rr.com
Mon Sep 25 14:29:49 PDT 2006

Greetings!

In 1984, I arrived in San Angelo (Goodfellow AFB) from Drachenwald and found
no SCA group in the area. My lady and I obtained a packet from the Kingdom
Seneschal on how to start a group. Little beknownst to us, on the other side
of town at Angelo State University a similar effort was taking place.
Apparently our letter arrived first and Mistress Ariela (sp?) directed them
to get in touch with us. In the end a small contingent from ASU and military
got together to form the Incipient Shire of Three Lochs (based on the 3
so-called lakes in the area). We probably should have registered as a
College as the BOD expects those to shut down periodically (student
schedules and all) and my Army teaching schedule mucked up things for a
while, but we persevered. We had many problems due to fluctuating
populations and trying to maintain a full slate of officers. We held several
events, many of them in conjunction with Black Lake. Our first event was
"co-sponsoring" an event with the then Shire of Bonwicke. I believe it was a
war with the Outlands (I've slept since then and low on sleep now) at the OC
Fisher Reservoir. When Aerin and left in 1988 they were looking better, but
still reaching. They had some troubles in 89/90, but overcame them. I am
glad that they have made it.

As to the name--the College of Herald made us jumps through I do not know
how many hoops. We went from Three Lochs to Trelochs to Treloch. (All
supposedly in the interests of language continuity.) When I left it was
still Treloch.

I hope this helps and that my memory hasn't gone out the window.

HL Duncan MacConacher
2nd Seneschal of Treloch (San Angelo, TX)

(snipped)