[Ansteorra] Mud Star (was First Event)

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 25 12:40:21 PDT 2006

On Sep 25, 2006, at 2:02 PM, Kaitlyn Mckenna wrote:

> The event with Hillary's car was Five Star..also known as Mud Star.
> The fighters had a lovely time of fighting in the woods, then comeing
> out to dump the water out of their armor.
> Court was held in the mud. Everything was in the mud. We gave up early
> on trying to stay dry or clean.
>
> --kaitlyn

Thanks for the memory jog, Kaitlyn. :-)

I had a nagging suspicion that I had mixed up two events... but, hey,
when you've been to one event with water sheeting across the list
field in a river 4" deep, you've been to them all. ;-)

I remember the encampment area... those whose tents happened (by
chance) to have been set up facing away from the direction of flow
fared considerably better than those whose tent faced towards it. :-(

Is that the event where Jenny was found in her tent, on an air
mattress, floating in about 6" of water... *sound asleep*?

I remember the woods battles... I was marshaling... there was some
sort of quest... you had to go into the woods, find a particular
person (non-combatant), talk to them, and find out what to do next.
(Get a flag from them? Something like that? I don't remember.) But
you couldn't see more than about 5-10' in the woods due to the
weather (raining hard, overcast, etc.). Consequently, many fighters
never did find the quest-keeper. I remember that the quest-keeper was
supposed to be sort of hiding, but they finally started yelling "Hey!
You! Yeah, you! Come over here!" and things like that, to help the
fighters echo-locate them when all else failed. *chuckle*

I remember that several of the fighters just resorted to "pick up
fights" in the woods out of boredom, since they had spent maybe an
hour looking for the quest-keeper and gotten nothing but soaked to
the skin... unless a friendly marshal pointed them in the right
direction. :-P

I remember them straggling back out of the woods in ones and twos,
probably looking forward to changing into something warm and dry...
and the look on their faces when they saw their encampment. :-(

Am I remembering the right event?

Michael