[Ansteorra] First Event

Burke McCrory bmccrory at tax.ok.gov
Mon Sep 25 12:47:32 PDT 2006

I found the SCA in late 1978 but my first official SCA event was
Namron Med Fair in 1979.  I had been to several informal gatherings
before that but Med Fair was my first official event.  My first Big
Kingdom Level event was the creation of the Kingdom at Jonathon's
coronation in Elfsea that summer.  I still remember vividly the final
court of Simonn and Tessa as Prince and Princess.  Their subsequent
stepping down and execution.  The funeral procession with their black
clad bodies raised on platforms carried by mourners.  The riding into
court of Crown Prince Jonathon de Laufyson, who confronted King Theo
of Atenvaldt, demanding that these lands be set free and recognized
as a new and equal Kingdom.  And finally his taking the Crown and
proclaiming that he was King of Ansteorra.  A magnificent site for
someone so new in the SCA.

Oh, one more thing that I will never forget.  William Blackfox (a
very young and inexperienced piper) playing his bagpipes at dawn on
Sunday morning.  Shudder...He would get much better in later years
but that day he truly earned the title of cat killer.

Sir Burke
(who actually has a picture of the garb I wore at that event)