[Ansteorra] Ansteorran History "Did You Know?"

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 26 05:01:27 PDT 2006

> Since we seem to be talking about history and facts from ages
> past I though I would start an email called "Did You Know".
> I have put some interesting and obscure items here but I do
> expect the list to grow as others add to it.
>
> Burke
>
> Did you know that:
> The original name for Wiesenfeuer was Ebenfeuer which means
> Black Fire.
> That the original name for Mooneschadowe was "Moonshadow,
> Land of the Crying Wind" (rejected by the heralds as it had
> to many letters) Currently Oklahoma is the only state in the
> SCA that has no shire in it.
> Stargate was never a shire.
> Steppes is the only Ansteorran group to have an officially
> recognized AOA level shire award (the Tread of the Steppes).
> Coin of the realm (foil covered chocolate coins) was
> established during Jan's reign.
> Ansteorra once had a war over an anvil.
> Ansteorra once had a war over an mustache.
> Ansteorra once had a war over an cookies.
> Ansteorra has fought wars with all of its neighbors except Calontir.
> Ansteorra is the only Kingdom in the SCA to have had a Queen
> by Right of Arms.
> The Sun at the base of the Ansteorran arms is the Sun of Atenveldt.

Ansteorran inter-baronial conflicts are sometimes accounted to have
begun with a butterfly hunt...

> add more here.....

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra

P.S. (often-flawed) memory sez "Moonshadow, Land of the Crying Wind_s_"
[plural] went on an early draft of the paperwork.  (My files are
currently in storage about 1800 miles from current temporary domicile.)
Reason I'm fairly certain 'bout this one is (presumptuously) using
"Crying Winds Pursuivant" for some early heraldic correspondence.  The
p.e. known previously as Amra M'Chib Bakerian...