[Ansteorra] Wanting Awards & Persona

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 28 10:40:39 PDT 2006

>Robert Fitzmorgan fitzmorgan at gmail.com
>... In many cultures of our period boasting and trumpeting your abilities
>and achievements was not only acceptable but expected.  In 21st century
>America it is considered unseemly.  As Ansteorrans we we admire big, bold,
>larger than life characters, striving to cover themselves with honour and
>glory.  If they do it really, really well they might be made a Lion.  As
>21st century Americans we are a little uncomfortable with this kind of
>display.  If someone strives for this larger than life persona and doesn't
>quite hit the right note they might be regarded as an arrogant blowhard.

I have to say that given the difficulties I've had getting jobs, and
promotions ove rthe years because I totally suck at selling myself, in
modern American culture it is very much expected that to get ahead, boasting
and trumpting your abilities is mandatory.

I've only really arrived where I am today by luck and people in the
workplace who bvelieved that I could work miracles (silly people).
Actually, I suppose that's as true for the SCA as it is in my daily job.

Marc/Diarmaid