[Ansteorra] Wanting Awards & Persona

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 28 11:34:13 PDT 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: Jean Paul de Sens <jeanpauldesens at gmail.com>

Otoh, red belts, scarfs, yellow, and green belts are all a blatant statement
of "I would like to be X someday", but it doesn't bother us...
how come?

I think because these symbols show the wearer's commitment and dedication to following the path to those appropriate ends.  Anyone can say, "I want to be an X someday," but those who wear the "badge" of apprentice, protege, squire, cadet, etc. are putting themselves in the open to let themselves be observed/judged/critiqued/guided along their chosen path, and we admire those who demonstrate commitment and dedication.

In service,
Alden Drake