[Ansteorra] Seeking information: Order of the Knights of the Sable Garland

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 15 19:50:40 PDT 2007

Your Grace and Your Excellency,

Thank you both for your courteous but frank replies. I can certainly
see your points.

Willow asked whether "the peerage or nobility needs to create more
awards for themselves?" On one side of the coin, that's a trick
question. The crown creates and bestows awards, not the peerage or
nobility. :-)

But I see the point, I think. And my opinion is, yes, there should be
more ways to recognize those who've gone above and beyond. How do you
thank someone who earned their peerage 20 years ago and is still
serving? I named a few in a previous message (augmentation of arms, a
simple "thank you", "so-and-so appreciation" events, etc.), but I see
nothing wrong with creating more. It's important to publicly and
officially thank our newer members when we bestow their Award of
Arms. It's important to publicly and officially thank our more
seasoned members with the higher awards. It's important to recognize
(with peerage) those who embody our highest ideals. And I think it's
important to continue to acknowledge their valuable support, years
after they've received all the awards our society otherwise has to
offer.

We do this in subtle ways, too. For example, having the Lions defend
the throne and sword of state between crowns. This is an honor and a
privilege exclusive to the Lions, and seeing them standing there is a
sight to behold! I know that even if there was no Populace to see
them, they would still *be* Lions and all they represent; they don't
need an "audience" to be who and what they are. But when we look upon
them, that's our way of saying "we see you, our Lions, and we
remember you".

Just so by having the Sable Garland escort the Queen. It's a singular
honor (if requested), and both a way for *them* to show that they
still remember *us* (and their service to our Queen), and a way for
*us* to see them, remember them, and honor them.

With kind regards,
Michael Silverhands