[Ansteorra] [Ansteorra-announce] Siege Equipment - Ramps

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 2 12:09:37 PST 2007

Salut cozyns,

Many thanks, Phocas. I guess the next logical step would be a bit of
reconstruction from the pictures. I'm going to hazard a set of guesses based
on the apparent heights of the individuals in the pictures. My trigonometry
skills are a bit rusty, and the angles in the photos are a bit misleading,
but I'm interested to see what everyone else derives.

Looks like the low points in the crenels on the castle are all either
roughly five feet from the ground or six feet from the ground. The ramps
(not counting the stepped one) appear to be about 20" wide and roughly
twelve feet in length, constructed on a frame of 2X4s. The rungs on the
ramps look to be made with 1x2s in some cases and 1" or larger dowels in
others. The rope handles are passed through holes beside the rungs and tied
to around the rungs. The surface looks like 1/2" plywood, and the kickstands
look like 30" 2X4s.

The only measurement I feel really uncertain of is the width. Based on the
photos I think they could be as narrow as 18" but not quite as much as 24"
wide.

What we can't see in the photos is how much reinforcement each ramp has. I
would think two Xs of 2X4 with a single 2X4 separating them or three
diagonals with a 2X4 separating each would be sufficient.

Please, feel free to tell me I've completely misread these photos and offer
corrections.

All in all, this should be simple enough to build. Do we have anyone who can
haul them to the war if we build some?

En Lyonel
Impedimentum via est
(The obstacle is the path)