[Ansteorra] Marshalling pole challenge

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 30 12:08:45 PST 2007

Salut cozyns,

Gods. The temptation to resort to sarcasm is overwhelming.

*sigh*

Michael, in all your years in the SCA how often have you seen anything like
the scenario you describe? I've never seen it. Even at Estrella, where many
of the marshals use hardwood marshalling staves to push clots of errant
warriors back into the open field, I have never seen a marshal's staff
break.

Is it possible? Yes. A meteorite crashing through my roof and killing me is
possible, but I don't plan to start wearing my bascinet all the time.

Let's start with a far more likely scenario for breaking a marshalling
staff. Say I found myself in the position of having to block a powerful shot
with my marshalling staff. In the few such cases that I can recall, the
block was accomplished with a minimum of impact (easy to do when you're not
the target). Still let's posit a blow that actually breaks the staff. It
doesn't matter. I leave the field and throw it away.

I think this rule is overkill resulting in a waste of cash and good rattan.

lo vostre per vos servir
En Lyonel
Impedimentum via est
(The obstacle is the path)