[Ansteorra] medieval Nordic bread with Flax seeds

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 20 22:49:27 PDT 2007

Marta commented:
> I just saw your post on bread making.  I prefer
> homemade bread and I'm always looking for healthy
> recipes.  If you share your bread recipes, I would be
> very grateful if you would send some to me.

Marta,

You might want to look through the recipes in these files in the FOOD-
BREADS section of the Florilegium. There are less than a dozen actual
period recipes which have survived, and about half of those can be
found in these files. However, there are lots of other recipes which
are estimations and re-creations of period bread recipes. Perhaps you
will find some of these of interest.

bread-msg        (220K)  3/23/06    Medieval breads and grains.
bread-stuffed-msg (29K) 11/16/04    Period stuffed bread. Rastons.
Recipes.
breadmaking-msg  (248K)  3/28/06    Period bread recipes and re-
creations.
brd-mk-ethnic-msg (27K) 11/15/01    Making various ethnic breads.
Recipes.
brd-mk-flat-msg   (68K)  8/26/02    Period flat or unleavened bread
recipes.
brd-mk-sour-msg   (88K)  2/ 4/07    Breadmaking -Period sourdough
bread recipes.

If your interest extends to other aspects of making bread in period,
rather than just recipes, you might also find these files of interest:
bread-stamps-msg  (12K) 11/16/02    Stamps used to leave insignia in
bread.
Ancent-Grains-art (24K)  5/30/01    "Looking into Ancient Grains" by
Mistress
                                        Christianna MacGrain.
flour-msg        (106K)  3/ 8/07    Types of flour. Sources. Period
flour.
fried-breads-msg  (22K)  9/12/06    Period fried breads. Funnel
cakes, donuts.
grains-msg        (98K)  4/30/07    Medieval grains. Recipes. Cooking.
Ital-fnl-caks-art  (6K)  6/29/06    "Italian Funnel Cakes" by Mistress
                                        Helewyse de Birkestad
leavening-msg     (24K)  3/28/06    Period leavening agents other
than yeast.
yeasts-msg        (84K) 10/ 1/06    Medieval use of yeast. Using it
in the CMA.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas