[Ansteorra] Sleeping sitting up vs lying down

Chelsea Durham baby_sis_83 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 17 12:12:22 PDT 2007

There are several artifacts and historical beds that are long enough to lay
down on. Perhaps that was the norm (sleeping sitting up) in that area, or
America for a couple of centuries. Ancient artifacts from Egypt indicate
linen sleeping mattresses that were used for sleeping laying down, along
with padded head rests in the place of pillows. The Japanese have slept on
mattresses on the floor for thousands of years. Either it was something done
in America and/or Europe at the time of the bunker, there's something going
on that we don't know about as a civilization, or the person that said it
was mistaken.

-Lady Grainne Kathleen NicPadraig MacDaniel
None is deceived but he who trusts too much.

Greetings all,

  I was watching a documentary the other day and something that was
mentioned
as a passing comment has bothered me so I thought I'd put it out to everyone
here to see if you have heard of it.

The documentary was about underground structures and tunnels (Cities of the
Underworld) and they were in a barracks that was built underground in a fort
near Philadelphia (I think). The underground bunker was built
pre-Revolutionary War and was equipped with bunk beds. The host commented
that the beds were so short because people were shorter back then. The guide
corrected him and said that it was because people used to sleep sitting up
because it was "healthier". Sleeping laying down didn't become the standard
until around the late 1800s and early 1900s. That was why the beds were so
short, not because people were shorter.

I've never heard that before...has anyone else? I've heard that some people
slept propped up on pillows but I don't think that is any different than
today.

Thanks!
Ysabeau